Saturday, February 19, 2011

March assignment




This is a challenging assignment, but I think it will make us all more aware of the importance of a comma, a semi-colon, etc.

You are to write one, two or three paragraphs (which may or may not be related), and then you will rewrite it/them, changing the punctuation to create a new message altogether. Since we'll be meeting the week of St. Patrick's Day, include a St. Patty's Day theme somehow (i.e. leprechauns, shamrocks, rainbows, pots of gold, etc.). And, again, remember to keep the total word count under 600 (including the original and rewrite(s)).


Here are some examples from Lynne Truss's EATS SHOOTS & LEAVES:


Dear Jack,


I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy – will you let me be yours?

Jill


Dear Jack,


I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men I yearn! For you I have no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?


Yours,
Jill






Do you see the difference? That's your challenge. To try to do the same!




May the luck o' the Irish be with you!




Hana



No comments:

Post a Comment