Monday, August 2, 2010

revised story about Sylvan Park pool "Paradise"

Hey everyone,
I went down to the pool last weekend. I had written my article and shared with you all last meeting. Well, I spoke with the manager, John Masarik for about an hour and totally revised my article. I would like to know what you think if any would care to comment. Here it is: thanks guys, Megan

YOUNG LIVES ARE BUILT SPLASHING IN PARADISE
By Megan Vance
“Hurry up guys, we’re going to be late for swim practice!” I yelled to my youngsters. “Do you all have your goggles?”
This was the daily refrain in our house from June through late July. Towels were quickly stuffed into bags, and we jumped in our van and made the quick five minute trip way down the steep hill called Sylvan Avenue in Natrona Heights. With trucks roaring toward Freeport on Route 28 in the backdrop, we had now arrived in our own little piece of what the Sylvan “family” calls Paradise.
We were new to the area in the late 80’s when I inquired of neighbors where would be a good swim club to join. Someone luckily told us of Sylvan Park. As a young mother with two busy toddlers, I quickly signed us all up. Just like yesterday, I recall my toddlers sitting at the side of the shallow end, one hollering loudly and one delighting in the swimming lessons they were starting that summer.
Crisp and clear, Sylvan Park has been under the management of just one man who had a dream for the place he has poured his heart and soul into for the past 45 years. John Masarik was a physical education teacher in the local area and a decorated World War II veteran when he began managing the pool in the summer of 1965. July 4, 1965 was Sylvan’s opening day. Masarik had a dream that has already seen fruit: building young leaders that will serve their country and community. Now in his 80’s, retirement is not in his vocabulary.
I am seeing that dream recognized in my own family and other families I knew during our swim team days. Sylvan served us all well. One day, we enrolled our three children for the swim team. Swim team soon became the highlight of the year, the one sport all three of my children participated. My youngsters first learned to perfect their strokes under the loving guidance of Mrs. Jane Thimmons in Conditioning Class in the shallow end. Mrs. Thimmons, who herself learned to swim through Mr. Masarik at another pool before Sylvan was built, reciprocated the favor by sharing her expertise and guidance with little swimmer wannabes. No child was left behind, each was encouraged and given hugs under her tutelage.
If the children were not quite ready to swim for “points” with the team, no problem. There was always“Future Champs”, a special meet for those who were still developing their skills. My oldest child, who had been at first terrified of the water , beamed like he had won Olympic Gold when he received his ribbons at Future Champs. Other kind people from the pool worked hard to make sure this event was held each year and there was always a Dairy Queen ice cream bar for each participant in the end.
When my children did finally qualify to swim for points, that was the highlight of their existence during school years. We were so excited when the big finale for the season occurred: Alle-Kiski Swim League Championships. Out of the 45 years these championships have occurred, Sylvan has won 41 times. Who could forget the cheer the swimmers proudly hollered: “Sylvan Swim Team’s in a state of war, We’ll fight you on the beach, we’ll fight you on the shore! We’ll fight you til the fight is won, Sylvan swimming is #1!!”
Mr. Masarik sums up the philosophy of Sylvan in three simple words: passing the torch. Indeed, at the swimmers banquet, a “torch” is brought out and run through the swimmers lined up on both sides. It is his goal that no child would feel unimportant, that no one would feel unneeded. This gave my children confidence that has carried on in successful adult lives. It is part of a legacy: the older generation wishes to impart values to the next and if you look at the results you will see that it is working. The swimmers at Paradise owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Masarik and the haven he has created for area families. Come to a clean, relaxing community called Sylvan Park and you will see what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job, Megan. I especially liked the beginning. Have you submitted it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hana,
    Thanks for reading it. Yes I fine tuned it one more time and sent it on Tues morning but haven't heard anything. I sent it to Gary Rotstein's email, do you think I should have sent to the page2 address instead?
    Thanks again,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete